Once I (and eventually Babs) went gluten free the recipe fell to the wayside. We opted to grill our chicken, which was not only gluten free, but also healthier. I hadn't had a gluten free version of the childhood favorite until recently when we made some for the Breaking Bad premiere. It was our version of Los Pollos Hermanos.
When Kitchen Table Bakers sent me samples of their Jalapeño Parmesan crisps, I wasn't sure if I should incorporate them into a recipe or eat them straight up. After trying one crisp, I definitely felt the heat. I knew I couldn't handle them alone, so I decided to crush them up and use them as the "breading" in that old breaded chicken recipe. I opted to bake them completely in the oven instead of lightly pan-frying first which was how I was originally taught.
The result was juicy chicken with a hint of cheese and a wonderful zip of heat. Not crazy spicy, but just the right amount of kick to update a typical breaded chicken dish. I served it with broccoli, which is an odd choice, but I'm nearing Old Mother Hubbard territory and am using up the remnants of my fridge. I would recommend serving with Spanish rice, in a taco salad, or with a sweet potato.
Jalapeño Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 4 thin sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup rice flour (or all purpose gluten free flour, corn starch, etc.)
- 1 package of Kitchen Table Bakers Jalapeño Parmesan crisps*
- Canola oil (or your favorite cooking oil)
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Using the cooking oil, grease a shallow oven-safe baking dish
- Crush the Jalapeño Parmesan crisps to a consistency of breadcrumbs. (I threw mine in the NutriBullet)
- Set up 3 bowls, filling one bowl with flour, beaten egg in another, and crushed crisps in the last
- For each chicken breast, dredge in flour, then let soak in egg, and finally coat with the crushed crisps
- Lay each piece of chicken in the greased dish evenly apart so they are not touching
- Bake 8-12 minutes (depending on thickness of chicken), flip and bake an additional 8-12 minutes until thoroughly cooked
*This recipe will work just as well with any of the Kitchen Table Bakers flavors of crisps.
How do you prepare your gluten free breaded chicken? GF prepared breadcrumbs? Crackers? Potato chips? Share your tips in the comments below.