It's also fun to make pizza at home every once in a while. While I love making veggie pizzas with the typical tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, it's fun to jazz it up a bit too. That's where some BBQ Chicken pizza comes in. The sweet tang of barbecue sauce, tender chicken, caramelized onions, a cheesy blend of sharp cheddar and mozzarella, and the freshness of cilantro. Anything but ordinary.
My family has been making this recipe since my pre-celiac days when we'd use a Boboli pizza crust. To gluten free this up, there are several different pre-made gluten free crusts to choose from such as Udi's, Rudi's, or Schar. Since you don't have to prepare the crust, it's pretty easy to put together and doesn't require a lot of prep work other than cooking the chicken.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
1 pre-made gluten free pizza crust. (I used Schar)
¼ of gluten free BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
1 cup of cooked chicken breast, chopped into bite sized pieces
½ cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
½ cup of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 small sweet onion, sliced in rings
1 tsp oil
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cook your chicken breast! You can bake it, boil it, pressure cook it, grill it. Once fully cooked, chop into bite sized pieces, about 1 cup total
- Preheat oven to temperature listed on package of pre-made gluten free pizza crust
- Slice up your onion, heat up your pan, coat it with oil and caramelize those onions until they are a nice golden brown
- Spread your BBQ sauce all over the pizza crust; if you like a saucy pizza feel free to add more!
- Evenly distribute chicken pieces over sauced up crust
- Sprinkle cheeses on top
- Add those caramelized onions over the cheese
- Sprinkle cilantro on top of everything
- Pop into the preheated oven and bake per directions on the crust, usually about 12-15 minutes. You'll know when it's ready when the cheese is nicely melted
- Once out of the oven, cool for a few and then dig in!