Update - We did it!
I previously voiced my thoughts and concerns about Domino's "Gluten Free" Pizza. Earlier this week, 1in133.org launched a Health Petition to Ditch NFCA's Amber Designation. Naturally I signed and I encourage you to do the same.
This is not to say that I don't think the NFCA is doing excellent work promoting celiac disease awareness, because they are. They have wonderful programs, education materials, newsletters, and so much more! I've even participated in several of their fundraising events such as the fun as ever Cupcakes Party.
BUT I just can't get my mind around how they could promote an item that the manufacturer declares is not safe for celiacs, the exact issue they are trying to spread awareness for! Does this make any sense to anyone? I could possible see if another organization promoted it, but even the Gluten Intolerance Group is telling gluten intolerant and gluten sensitive people to stay away from the new Domino's "gluten free" offering.
If you need more information before you make the decision to sign, please visit
- University of Maryland Celiac Center's, Dr. Fasano's Statement on Domino's Gluten Free Pizza
- North American's Society for the Study of Celiac Disease and University of Chicago Celiac Center's Dr. Guandalini's Statement on Domino's Gluten Free Pizza
- Wall Street Journal article on the issue
- CNN's Eatocracy blog post on the topic
- Pizza Marketplace's Commentary on the gluten free pizza
- Daily Finance Article explaining their stance on the issue
- Gluten Free Living Magazine's article on Domino's and the NFCA
- Cheryl Harris, RD post on the topic
And just for fun, have a laugh!