March 11, 2010
Gluten Free Girl Scout Cookies - Tagalongs
The Girl Scout's Tagalongs are my second favorite cookie. Peanut butter, chocolate, AND a vanilla cookie? What could be better (well Samoas...but we always did those).
The gluten free version of the Tagalongs were sooo good! I brought some to work and was told (by a gluten eatin' person) that they were simply marvelous! She even asked for the recipe, so you know they were good. I highly recommend these babies!
Gluten Free Tagalongs
adapted from Baking Bites
The cookie base is the same exact one as the Samoas.
For the cookies you'll need...
1 cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 to 2 tbsp of milk
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt at a low speed.
- Add vanilla extract and milk, adding milk as needed to make the dough come together in a nice thick texture, not too sticky.
Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. (I left mine in overnight)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Either scoop tablespoons of dough, roll into a ball, and flatten, or roll the dough out between floured (gluten free, of course!) wax paper to about ¼ inch thickness.
- Use round cookie cutters to make small circles and use a knife of wide straw to cut a smaller center hole. (Or if you're like me, you can skip this part and just make them whole.)
- Place on a parchment or foil lined cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned and cookies are set. (Keep checking on them, mine actually needed to cook for about 20-25 minutes. It's best to start with 15 and keep adding time as needed)
-As soon as they are out of the oven, use the back of a teaspoon and smash in the center of each cookie (you'll get more peanut butter filling this way!)
- Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
While the cookies are cooling, whip up the scrumptious peanut butter filling.
For the filling, you'll need...
1½ cups creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt½ tsp vanilla extract1 bag of milk chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- When the mixture comes together, heat in the microwave (short intervals, stirring frequently) until it is VERY soft.
- Transfer the filling to a pastry bag or a plastic bag with the tip cut off (or if you're like me, just use a spoon), and pipe a generous dome of the filling into each cookie's hollowed out center.
- Chill cookies in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes, or until the peanut butter is firm.- Melt the chocolate in a small, heat-resistant bowl, in 45 second intervals, stirring frequently.
- Once chocolate is completely melted and smooth, dip each cookie in, using a spoon or fork. Coat completely and place on a sheet of wax or parchment paper to set.
- Cookies can be placed in the refrigerator to speed up the setting process.
Makes about 3 dozen delectable cookies.