This stuff is great!! Remember my mom's Christmas cookie book I talked about before? Well I used her recipe for butter cookies and after the first bite it was like I was 10 years old again. They tasted identical to the original cookie I grew up on. I was blown away. Normally I can make recipes come close to what I remember them tasting in my pre-gluten free days, but these were a perfect match.
Here's how the magic happened:
Barb's Butter Cookies (à la Betsy)
¾ c sugar
½ c. butter
4 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1½ c. Meister's Gluten Free Flour
2½ tsp baking powder (this is where I messed up, it should have only been 1½ but apparently I can't do math...as I said, the cookies turned out phenomenal so maybe this was the secret?)
- Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Add egg and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.
- Add flour and baking powder. Beat until well blended.
- Chill dough for 1-2 hours. (I chilled it for 3 days, the longer the better I say...if you can wait that long.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll dough out on a gluten free floured surface and cut with cookie cutters dipped in GF flour.
- Bake on foil or parchment lined cookie sheets for 8-10 minutes.